Each spring, the Members of the U.S. House of Representatives sponsor a nation-wide high school arts competition. The Artistic Discovery Contest is an opportunity to recognize and encourage the artistic talent in the nation, as well as in our congressional district.
The Artistic Discovery Contest is open to all high school students in the 12th District. The over-all winner of our district's competition will be displayed for one year in the U.S. Capitol. The exhibit in Washington will also include artwork from other contest winners nation-wide.
My office is now accepting submissions for the 2018 Congressional Art Competition from high school students who live or attend school in North Carolina's 12th Congressional District.
How to Participate:
1. Check to see if you live or attend school in North Carolina's 12th Congressional District.
3. Complete the 2018 Student Release Form.
4. Participants must physically deliver artwork and forms to the Charlotte District Office (801 E. Morehead St., Charlotte, NC 28202) Before Friday, April 20th at 6 pm. Our regular business hours are Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm.
Artwork must be two-dimensional. Each framed artwork entered in the contest may be up to 26 inches by 26 inches (including the frame) and may be up to 4 inches in depth. All artwork should be matted. The art work may be:
- Paintings - including oil, acrylics, and watercolor
- Drawings - including pastels, colored pencil, pencil, charcoal, ink, and markers
- Prints - including lithographs, silkscreen, and block prints
- Mixed Media – use more than two mediums (pencil, ink, watercolor, etc.)
- Computer Generated Art
All entries must be an original in concept, design and execution.
*The winner will receive:
- Year-long exhibition of their artwork in the U.S. Capitol
- Complimentary airline tickets to Washington, D.C. to attend the reception and installation of the winning entries from congressional districts throughout the country.
- A chance to win a scholarship
The first and second runners-up will have their artwork displayed in my Washington, D.C. office and the two Honorable Mentions will be displayed in my district office for one year.
For more information, contact Quanisha Collins at (704) 344-9950
* indicates required field