Each spring, a nation-wide high school arts competition is sponsored by the Members of the U.S. House of Representatives. The Artistic Discovery Contest is an opportunity to recognize and encourage the artistic talent in the nation, as well as in our congressional district.
The Artistic Discovery Contest is open to all high school students in the 12th District. The over-all winner of our district's competition will be displayed for one year in the U.S. Capitol. The exhibit in Washington will also include artwork from other contest winners nation-wide.
My office is now accepting submissions for the 2016 Congressional Art Competition from high school students who live or attend school in North Carolina's 12th Congressional District.
How to Participate:
1. Check to see if you live or attend school in North Carolina's 12th Congressional District.
2. Make sure that your artwork complies with the 2016 Rules and Regulations.
3. Complete the 2016 Student Release Form.
4. Participants must physically deliver artwork and forms to the Charlotte District Office (321 West 11th St, Suites 100& 200 Charlotte, NC 28202) or Greensboro District Office (1600 East Wendover Ave Suite I Greensboro, NC 27405) Before Monday, April 4th at 5pm. Our regular business hours are Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm.
5. RSVP by Monday, April 4, 2016 to Josette.email@example.com for the reception and student critiques. Art critiques are on a first come, first serve basis.
Artwork must be two-dimensional. Each framed artwork entered in the contest may be up to 32 inches by 32 inches (including the frame) and may be up to 4 inches in depth. The art work may be:
- Paintings - including oil, acrylics, and watercolor
- Drawings - including pastels, colored pencil, pencil, charcoal, ink, and markers
- Prints - including lithographs, silkscreen, and block prints
- Mixed Media
- Computer Generated Art
All entries must be an original in concept, design and execution.
12th District Congressional Art Competition Reception
I will be announcing this year's winner and recognize all participants and their families on Sunday, April 17, 2016 from 2:00pm to 3:00pm at the New Modern Art Gallery in Charlotte, NC. I encourage all participants to attend the reception. This is an exclusive opportunity for student artists to interact one on one with successful and noted professional artists, and to receive a personal critique of their work.
The winner will receive:
- Year-long exhibition of their artwork in the U.S. Capitol
- Complimentary airline tickets to Washington, D.C. to attend the reception and installation of the winning entries from congressinal districts throughout the country.
- A chance to win a scholarship
The first and second runners-up will have their artwork displayed in my Washington, D.C. office and the two Honorable Mentions will be displayed in my district offices for one year.
If you would like more information on the annual Congressional District Art Competition - including this year's deadlines - please submit the following form.
* indicates required field