Adams Fights for Charlotte's Airline Workers
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Congresswoman Alma Adams (NC-12) is hard at work in Washington fighting for the approximately 1,000 local airline employees who lost their jobs in October, as well as the thousands more who face an uncertain future.
“Congresswoman Adams has signed every significant letter and piece of legislation to extend PSP and save Charlotte's airline jobs,” said Sam Spencer, Communications Director for Rep. Adams. “Charlotte Douglas International Airport is one of our region's most important economic drivers, and Congresswoman Adams is doing everything in her power to keep it that way. Alma Adams won't let President Trump and the Senate majority give thousands of Charlotte workers the pink slip without a fight."
Rep. Adams' support for local airline workers includes:
- Voting for the CARES Act, which established the Payroll Support Program;
- Cosigning Transportation & Infrastructure Committee Chairman DeFazio’s letter to Congressional leadership in June urging them to extend PSP;
- Cosigning Rep. Payne’s letter to Congressional leadership urging them to extend PSP in September;
- Cosponsoring Del. Plaskett’s H.R. 8345, a bipartisan bill which provides a standalone extension of the PSP;
- Voting for the updated HEROES Act, which contains an extension of the PSP; and
- Cosigning Rep. Payne’s new letter to President Trump to ask that he resume negotiations to extend PSP and ensure airline workers don’t lose their jobs.
Adams voted for the new Heroes Act which reauthorizes the Payroll Support Program (PSP) and will save over 1,000 airline jobs in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg region.
"The Heroes Act is, first and foremost, a jobs bill," said Adams. "It keeps our essential workers safe so they can go to work. It keeps our airline industry and other industries moving so they can continue to employ thousands across our region."
American Airlines Furloughs:
906 American Airlines employees have been furloughed in Charlotte, including:
- 687 flight attendants
- 91 pilots
- 52 fleet servicers
Employment numbers from other airlines serving Charlotte was not available at press time.
Congresswoman Alma Adams represents North Carolina’s 12th Congressional District (Charlotte) and serves as Vice Chair of the House Committee on Agriculture. Additionally, she serves on the House Financial Services Committee and the House Education & Labor Committee, where she serves as Chair of the Workforce Protections Subcommittee. In 2015, she founded the first bipartisan Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) Caucus in Congress.