Adams Opposes GOP Budget
Washington, D.C.—Today, Congresswoman Alma Adams (NC-12) issued the following statement after voting against the Republican budget for FY 2018.
“This so-called budget is a devastating case of Robin Hood in reverse--taking from those in need and giving to the wealthy,” said Congresswoman Adams. “This measure cuts $1.5 trillion from Medicare and Medicaid, slashes $150 billion from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), freezes funding for Pell grants, and eliminates funding for TIGER grants—all to afford tax cuts for billionaires. This budget would be horrible for Mecklenburg County: halting infrastructure and transportation projects, worsening hunger, and putting higher education out of reach for students. I cannot, in good faith and conscience, support it. I encourage my Senate colleagues to be sensible and support an alternative budget that more adequately reflects our nation’s priorities.”
The Republican budget which passed the House today would:
- Pave the way for tax cuts for the wealthy at the expense of the middle class;
- End the Medicare guarantee by cutting $1.5 trillion from Medicare and Medicaid;
- Freeze Pell grant funding for students, impacting more than 200,000 North Carolinian college students;
- Slash $150 billon from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP);
- Eliminate TIGER grants;
- Prohibit funding for high-speed rail projects;
- Phase out the capital investment grants from the Federal Transit Administration;
- Reduce the State Department’s funding by $11 billion;
- Cut $6 billion from environmental protection resources.