Rep. Adams' November in Review
CHARLOTTE – While continuing to work for Charlotte and Mecklenburg County, Congresswoman Alma Adams (NC-12) gained significant support for her legislative agenda in November.
Here are the highlights:
- Adams' bill, the Apprenticeship Access for All Act, was included in the National Apprenticeship Reauthorization Act of 2020, which passed the House.
- Adams teamed up with Common to call on HBCU students and graduates to vote.
- Adams celebrated Charlotte's status as the #1 location for STEM/STEAM job creation.
- Calling Adams the "Godmother of HBCUs," Politico debunked President Trump's claim that he "saved HBCUs."
- Crediting her decades of experience and her passage of the landmark FUTURE Act, Adams was mentioned as a "very formidable" choice for Secretary of Education in a Biden Administration.
- Adams & and her fellow Black Maternal Health Caucus Co-Chair Rep. Lauren Underwood led a letter to the Department of Laboron Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) protections for nursing mothers. More information here.
- Adams' Black Maternal Health work was featured in Essence Magazine.
- Adams' bill in the Black Maternal Health Momnibus, the Kira Johnson Act, gained 13 cosponsors.
- During Native American Heritage Month, NWA highlighted Adams' work to support indigenous birthing parents.
- Adams, vice chair of the House Committee on Agriculture, gained 9 new sponsors for her bill, the Local Farmer Act.
- Additionally, 140 Members of Congress, including Senate sponsor Kamala Harris, now support Adams' Closing the Meal Gap Act legislation to expand SNAP benefits.
COVID-19 & Health Care:
- Adams and Rep. Clay led an effort to protect renters at risk of eviction during the pandemic.
- Adams gave a speech on the floor of the House of Representatives to bring attention to the 38,000 pregnant women who have been diagnosed with COVID-19.
- Adams encouraged North Carolinians to take advantage of the open enrollment period for health care coverage.
Postal Service Reform:
- Rep. Adams continued to lobby for election integrity, blasting the delayed delivery of 2020 election ballots.
- Adams released a special Veterans Day message thanking our heroes for their service.
- Adams celebrated the passage of the Lumbee Recognition Act, which she cosponsored in the House.
- Elle talked to Rep. Adams about Vice President-elect Kamala Harris.
Looking Ahead to December:
- Adams will participate in the "Transit is the Future" Forum on December 2.
- Adams will host a Holiday Resource Fair on Thursday, December 3.
- The one-year anniversary of the FUTURE Act being signed into law is December 19.