Adams' January in Review
This January in Congress has been unlike any other.
On the first Wednesday, an insurrection caused in no small part by the outgoing President breached the Capitol for the first time in over 200 years. On the second Wednesday, we voted for an impeachment necessitated by the attack the week before.
On the third Wednesday, we celebrated the inauguration of a new President and a historic Vice President, but the day was very different due to the pandemic. The Biden-Harris Administration got to work immediately to improve our response to COVID-19.
Nevertheless, through all of these events, your Congress has continued to work for you. The continuity of government and peaceful transition of power was preserved. My office and my staff have been working tirelessly for you, even after a cowardly attack on their workplace.
Please enjoy a summary of our January activities below.
Rep. Alma S. Adams, Ph.D
What's Happening in Congress
- Adams' Statement on the Start of the 117th Congress
- Adams' HBCU Partnerships Bill Becomes Law
- Adams Reflects on the Capitol Attack
- Adams' Remarks on Impeachment Vote
- Adams & Other AKAs Recognize Founders' Day
- Adams Introduces Bill to Raise the Minimum Wage
- Adams Leads Constitutional Amendment
Inauguration and the Biden-Harris Administration
- Adams' Inauguration Day Video
- Adams' Statement on Inauguration Day
- Adams Celebrates New Worker Protections
- Adams' Statement on Biden Stimulus Proposal
- Adams Applauds Confirmation of Sec. Lloyd Austin
On Thursday, January 28, Rep. Adams hosted a Virtual Community Swearing-In and Address, taking questions after the presentation. You can watch the video below:
As we began this new year, Congresswoman Adams invited you to help set the top issues for Congress in 2021 by completing the 12th Congressional District 2021 Priorities Survey.
Alma Adams in the Press
This month, Rep. Adams penned an editorial for USA Today about why she voted to impeach former President Trump - and why the Senate must vote to convict him for his role in the attack on the Capitol. You can read it here:USA Today: Convict Trump at His Impeachment Trial
Here are some other stories we think may be of interest to you:
- Adams Says "There Are Reasons for Hope" in 2021
- Adams Calls Jan. 6 a "Sad Day for Democracy"
- Adams Unveils $15 Federal Minimum Wage Bill
- Adams Addresses Student Debt and the Wealth Gap
- Charlotte Leaders Reflect on MLK Day
- What Being at the Inauguration is Like
- The Maternal Health Crisis is Widespread